Those stuffed baked eggplants is the perfect dish for vegetarians and vegans. You can top
them with feta cheese or leave off for a vegan version. Serve them with a green salad on the
side and enjoy!
4 large eggplants
2 cups brown or green lentils, cooked*
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic gloves, mashed
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 carrots, chopped in cubes (you can use any vegetable you like)
2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp red chilies
½ tsp crushed, dry coriander
½ tsp oregano
Salt/pepper to taste
How to make them
1. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise and with a sharp knife make diagonal incisions
on the fleshy side taking care not to pierce the skin.
2. Coat the fleshy side with a little olive oil and place on baking paper in the oven for
about 45min or until soft.
3. Meantime prepare the filling. Fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil until
translucent. Add the veggies and cook in low heat until soft.4. Add the spices and give a stir.
5. Add the tomatoes and simmer until the sauce thickens.
6. Add the boiled lentils and switch off.
7. When the eggplants are ready, use the back of a spoon and push down the eggplant
flesh to create a cavity. Fill them and serve! If you want to top them with feta, put
the back in the oven for 5min.
*It is important to use either brown or green lentils, instead of black or red. Brown and
green lentils need 20-30min to cook and still stay meaty and tender.